Wednesday 21 January 2015

A couple of layouts, 2015 scrappy goals and just a little rambling LOL

Well hello there and happy Wednesday!!!  Finally, you say?  Of course, you would be right LOL... so happy happy New Year as well.  May I take a minute to wish you and yours a fantastic 2015 filled with health, happiness, fun, giggles and lots of scrappy time, or reading time, or gardening time ... or whatever floats your boat!!!

As many of you already know, I have a grueling work schedule from mid-December to mid-January - Christmas and New Year's is our busiest time of the year.  So no posting.  But I did quite a bit of scrapbooking anyway - often in 15 or 20 minute increments when I got home, or just before bed.  It is my sanity-saver and I also make a lot of Christmas presents.  I won't go back and post any of those layouts since I pretty much put them up on our various Facebook pages so you have probably seen them.  I was also honoured to be asked to be the Scraptastic member spotlight for December (see their blog on the 31st of December).

The main point to today's blog post is to set out my scrappy goals for 2015, explain them a little, challenge myself (and you if you so choose LOL) to stretch my creative limits a bit, to think outside the box and generally to have lots of fun this year in my scrap room (I know, I know some people are under the impression that it's my dining room - go figure!!!).

But, just before I get to that main point, here are a couple of my most recent layouts :




On to the goals :

The numbers :  I want to make 150 layouts this year, which translates to a little over 12 per month.  But, since I mentioned that I wanted to stretch my creative limits a little this year, they won't all be 12 X 12.  Within that 150, I want to make:

  • At least 12 pocketed page 12 X 12 layouts as inserts into my normal 12 X 12 album.  I am not ready to jump on the "Project Life" bandwagon just yet, and frankly I don't think I have enough going on in my life to warrant it LOL, but I do want to get at least one spread a month done to document some of the everyday, but in particular what I read, the tennis I watch, the netflix movies or series I watch... None of these warrant 12X12 pages but I want them documented.
  • I also want to try my hand at some 8½ X 11 pages, at least one a month.  Rory Vaillancourt, one of the Scraptastic DT members (kateroar on YouTube) scraps mainly in that format; her layouts, and videos, are awesome and inspiring. 
I also want to make 50 cards; my card stash is dwindling.  And, what better way to clean up the scraps after creating a page LOL

The product:  As you know, I joined Scraptastic last May and I love, love, love it!!!  I tried many ways of using the kit for the first few months and bought sometimes only a main, sometimes a main with a few extra bits, sometimes a main plus the add-on.  I sometimes added from my stash, other times not.  In late summer, I found the formula that worked for me (I did blog about it  here :   http://lifescrapsbymoira.blogspot.ca/2014/08/did-i-kill-june-scraptastic-kit-and.html ).  My strategy for this year is :

  • I will buy a main kit plus an add-on every month, with the occasional additional flair, wood veneer, or the new acrylics.  I will also prepare a small add-on from my stash and then I will scrap away.  That brings me to 
My budget:  Yes, I do have to talk about it LOL !!!  My challenge to myself for the entire year is to not buy anything other than what I mentioned above. I have a stash the size of a small store and need to use it.  The exception of course will be basic tools, like adhesives, trimmer blades etc... and I will treat myself to  a birthday haul in October.

The combination Scraptastic kit, add-on and my stash is a winning one for me.  The other thing I love about getting a kit is that I do get my "new product fix"!  I am not as tempted to watch haul videos, new collection videos etc... because I know I will get lots of the great new goodies out there.  I will also get some really fun exclusives.

The kit is nicely coordinated so pulling product is so much easier.  The end result is that I have never scrapped as much as I do with the kit subscriptions.

Another big factor in my increased productivity and fun is:

My inspiration:  I am quite active on a couple of awesome, awesome, awesome (did I say awesome) facebook groups; mainly:
  • nicolejones911
  • victoria marie facebook group
  • scraptastic member forum
These groups are amazing, full of talented, creative and fun scrapbookers sharing their layouts, their inspiration, their techniques, tips & tricks.  We encourage each other, we challenge each other, we have an amazingly fun time!!!

I am also an avid process video watcher and that community is the best as well.  It has grown leaps and bounds this year and there are so many talented scrappers showing us beautiful pages (I really wanted to post a top ten of that for you here, but when I reached top 30 and realised the list was not done; I decided against it LOL).  So hop on over to the FB groups and you will find that most You Tubers let us know on the group when they have posted a video.  There are new ones every day !!!

And finally, I want to increase my participation in challenges this year.  So my goals for that are :
  • Do the nicolejones911 challenge every month
  • Do at least one of the Victora Marie FB group challenges every week (if I can do both, yay me)
  • do as many of the challenges run by my friends Ronisuescrapper, Megan and Jennifer as I can (at least two a month)
  • participate in as many of the challenges as I can  issued by my favourite You Tubers
  • Do the sketch challenge and the Pinterest challenge posted on the Scraptastic blog, as a minimum from their blog.
So there you have it - my 2015 Scrappy plan!!!  I did not make the goal of short blog posts because that, of course, would be a monumental fail.  Like always, thanks so much for sticking with me.  I hope to post every Thursday this year and one day on the weekend about twice a month (so six blog posts per month is the goal!!! :) :)

Have a wonderful scrappy week!!!  Check out the FB groups mentioned above, go have fun on You Tube ... join us!!!

14 comments:

  1. Superb goals! I hope you stick to them and enjoy them.

    I really love that first layout especially :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jennie !! I really like that layout as well; it was fun to make and I am starting slowing to branch out into just a touch of mixed media :) We'll see LOL ....
      I figured if I published my goals that it would be added incentive and I was actually pretty good for the latter part of the 2014 - I really didn't buy anything but the necessary until December (but then I deserved a Christmas pressie I thought :) xo

      Delete
  2. Under challenges you mentioned "do as many of the challenges run by my friends Ronisuescrapper, Megan and Jennifer as I can (at least two a month)." Who is Jennifer? I follow the other 2. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks for stopping by. It is Jennifer Cambridge; she is on You Tube and generally posts on nicolejones911 when she has a challenge video up :) HTH

      Delete
  3. Lovely layouts Moira and such awesome goals! I hear you when it comes to using up your stash!! I'm on a similar budget as you, I get my Hip Kit and often one add on, then everything else must come from my stash. I find that getting my kit satisfies my need for new product and I don't have to purchase an entire line!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa, thanks for stopping by. We can encourage each other over the year LOL :)

      Delete
  4. Great goals Moira. A couple years ago I did PL in a weekly format. Too much work so last year I did monthly, still too much at times. This year I plan on adding pocket pages when needed to document the mundane, tv series, texts from my boys etc. No rules, just one here, one there and add to my regular album. I like the idea of adding 8 1/2 x 11 though especially since I do have quite a few 3x4 pictures to scrap. Thanks for that idea. I also am on a no buy this year, not even kits though. I cancelled my scraptastic. I need to get through my small store. Good luck with your goals for the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Melinda !!! I know what you mean about PL; I just don't have enough going on for do a weekly spread and really the monthly I want to do is more to record TV, reading etc... as you mention !! I made my first 8.5 X 11 layout yesterday. Enjoyed the experience but it is more different than I thought to a 12 X 12. Good luck with yours goals as well... we can encourage each other :)

      Delete
  5. I love your blog "ramblings" Moira! I could take a leaf out of your book and become a lot more organised! For a start, your goals are super and seem very realistic with a nice mix of challenging. I might copy those!
    I hear what you're saying with the PL and 8.5 x 11's - I've never done PL but your approach seems exactly how I would handle that, since it's great to have some record of the day-to-day-but-slightly-less-extrordinary! (My reason for attempting 8.5 x 11 is actually very whacky - perhaps I'll explain another day - but I totally do love Rory's inspirations too!)
    I think I subscribed to my UK-based kit about the same time as you began Scraptastic, and I couldn't agree more about these kits being just the right dose of new product to keep my scrapbook spirit alive, whilst also combining older stash to quell the hoarding spirit a bit. So with that said, I will have a keen eye on your future postings. I really, really enjoy your layouts and designs! Great blog too (and I'm useless with following blogs normally, since I don't really understand how to, or what I'm doing with Google+, but I love that you give a link in Facebook - thanks!)
    ~iliana x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you made my day Iliana !!! Thanks so much for stopping by and what a lovely comment/post... A ha ! now I can't wait to hear/read about your reasoning for the 8.5 X 11 LOL and I love "to quell the hoarding spirit a bit" ; I will have to borrow that LO. And I love your layouts and designs as well; you have a wonderful way with titles. I always so enjoy your videos too... so here's to a fun scrappy year. xo

      Delete
    2. Indeed, I'll ☆clink☆ a January toast to a fun scrappy year ahead, Moira! Your reply made me blush - you're too kind!
      Ok, since you've pressed me, I'll quickly explain about my 8.5x11 rationale... Gulp... this is going to make me look "corky" (I love that new word Victoria Marie offered me!) but, yeah, so...
      Well it all stems from a rare trip our family took to a Chineese supermarket nearby several months ago. My DH Dave is such a foodie so it was a treat for him; I had my scrapbooking eye on other things. This trip took place whilst I was on about a 2 year hiatus from scrapbooking (my head was elsewhere!) but with the intention to pick it up again. I used to make minibooks, so upon seeing foil-lined, and such, paper bags, including some advertised as 12x12" I convinced Dave I just had to have them. Turns out they were 11x11 and who knows what kind of album I was intending!!?! Anyway, these bags remain untouched to date. But they will not defeat me! I have it in mind still to construct some kind of album that'll hold 11x8.5 layouts, obvs w/out sleeve protectors (but I'm so into texture I almost can't bear the plastic anyway!)
      Time will tell... watch this space, but don't hold your breath! Maybe I'll have to get good at prawn crackers instead, LOL!!
      Sorry for long reply.......!! :-)

      Delete
    3. Happy Saturday Iliana!!! Oh thanks so much for telling me that fun story... I can so relate to being in a store that had nothing to do with scrapbooking and finding all sort of ideas, or textures, or patterns. I am a tennis fan and have been watching the Australian open a lot this week. I keep getting distracted by the patterns on the players clothes, thinking (ooooh that would be a lovely pattern paper) ... LOL. I guess am am corky as well (love the word)!!!
      So, of course, now I can't wait to see that lovely 11 X 11 foil-lined paper on an upcoming ... so I will be watching this space indeed, xox

      Delete
    4. Woah, Moira, sorry about this delayed reply!
      I meant to do this ages ago since I read your comment the day you posted it.
      I love that you also find all sorts of ideas or textures/patterns in everyday life. Tennis - haha, brilliant! I can SOOO relate (just the other day I was staring at a restaurant wall. Sorry, I'll be honest.... I took a PICTURE of a square/cork textured restaurant wall with a view to copying the design in scrapbooking!) What can I say - inspiration hits from the most unlikely sources.
      And, of course, from fab places like this blog of yours.... :-)

      Delete
    5. Ha! love it Iliana. Some may think us somewhat obsessed; I much prefer the label "highly creative and aware" myself LOL :)

      Delete