Sunday 16 November 2014

First ever mixed media scrapbook layout (well sort of LOL) ... 12 X 12

Good morning friends!  Hope you are well and having a lovely Sunday so far (or had a lovely Sunday should it already be over where you are).  I woke up to the first snow fall of the year this morning.  It is still snowing and so far it is staying.  I have mixed feelings about that:  it is pretty and I don't have to shovel, nor do I drive but I walk; I walk a lot and that can be quite treacherous at times during the winter...but still, it is pretty as you will see in my photo below from last year.

So on to the layout ... I took a break from my Scraptastic kit (although the background cardstock is from the August Boys of summer kit) to play with some of my December Documented stash.  This layout is in response to a weekly challenge by my friends Roni and Megan (Ronisuescrapper and Crafty Meggy on You Tube; more about my friends below).  Their challenge this week was mixed media.  I have never ever done a mixed media layout so it was a challenge indeed.  So much so that my first attempt at a background was a total, monumental and epic fail LOL.  Not even my cat would play with the wrinkled up paper (that says a lot because Chopin is not at all fussy when it comes to playing with paper - anything that flies off the trimmer will do)!!  Oh well, so back to the drawing board I went.  And this time, I am really chuffed with the results - I love it and I had so much fun doing this page.  Now, before you get all excited, it is not mixed media like many of you do but it is a start - baby steps.


I apologise for the quality of the photo - another part of the snow that I don't like - bad lighting for photo taking LOL.  

What I did:  I started simply by covering the entire surface of a 12 X 12 Whisper White cardstock from Stampin' Up with Gesso.  I don't really have a lot of mixed media supplies - well none really - no Gelatos, no watercolours...but I did find some really old stuff in my stash, along with some more current mists and played away :

  • I used Nicole's and Irit's technique of mist on some packaging and then applied it to the page.  I used two colours of Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist -  Patina and Italian Sunset, and then added a bit of Mister Huey's custard.  The custard mist looked nice on my try-out sheet when I sprayed it, but I found the packaging technique made it much too bright and bold so in the end I covered most of it up
  • I found "Archival Opaline pigment ink" in Glacial blue in my stash (must be at least 10 years old.  It is a Tsunkineko product.  I used a SSS stencil called Stars and Dots with the ink and painted in three spots - it is not really visible on the picture, sorry.
  • I misted the doily with the Glimmer Mists
  • I colourd the wood veneer doily (we will just call it a snowflake, OK?) with the Patina Glimmer Mist, painted over that with the Glacial Blue paint/ink and then heat embossed it with clear embossing powder.
  • The rest is pretty straight forward layering and embellishing.  The paper comes from Basic Grey; it is a 6X6 paper pad from 2012, called Aspen Frost.  You will see it a lot in my December Documented album.
The photo:  Every year in late December or early January we get one, or a couple of, ice storms.  This particular morning, I was headed to work very early  - the sun was just rising as you can see in the top RH corner of the photo.  It gave everything the "glacial blue" tone.  It was lovely, but oh so treacherous ... I had to walk like a penguin.  Luckily, we did not lose power but I did slip and slide around for a couple of days LOL

Well, there you have.  Let me know what you think of my first foray into mixed media.  I had such fun. I can certainly see how it can become addictive and of course now I need Gelatos, watercolours, modeling paste, and.... and...LOL

Roni and Megan were joined by Jennifer Cambridge (also her You Tube name I think) for the challenge and they each made such lovely layouts.  If you don't know  them yet, head on over to their channels to watch and subscribe.  Roni and Megan also just started a facebook group (Crafty Meggy and Roni) so there is another lovely place to share.  Next week's challenge is to use a monochromatic colour scheme.  Everyone is welcome to join in - the more, the scrappier :) :)

As always, thanks so much for stopping by. I will be back soon dear friends - until then, be well.  Hugs xo


4 comments:

  1. Oh, I do like your photo. I like the shadows, I think it really takes on the 'atmosphere' of the scene. And I love your layout. I would think it is mixed media, even if your supplies were old, and all you had. You used more than one (hence mixed) and it sure did all work well together. Love it. Thanks so much for joining in on our challenge, I hope you join in on the monochromatic one. I just finished mine, just letting the glossy accents dry - I used it as glue. Then the pics, and video editing, and I will be ready for next week. So very unusual to be ahead. As always, I totally love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Roni !! I had so much fun creating this layout, even after the false start LOL. I can see why some find it therapeutic :) :). I think I got a bit lucky in "matching the atmosphere" LOL, not sure i really knew what I was doing but love how it turned out!!! I will look forward to seeing your monochromatic page on the weekend; they are so fun to do as well. I am not sure I will be playing. If time permits, I will definitely be there though :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Moira. I can just look at that photo and feel "frozen", it just looks really, really cold. No snow here yet and that is fine with me after last year, it never stopped. The "snowflake" looks great on this page. Great job on your first mixed media layout! Yes, now it's time to go shopping. You should check out TupeloDesigns on Etsy. Great stuff, already discounted. Happy shopping! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue. I had such fun making this layout. I think I got a bit lucky "matching the atmosphere and mood" of the photo LOL; I am not sure I really knew what I was doing. But I do love the outcome. I hope winter is much kinder to you this year. Ours has started in a pretty brutal way since Sunday ... but they are forecasting a return to normal next week (a little tiny reprieve before the real winter starts) :). Thanks for the tip on the Etsy shop.

      Delete